Saturday, February 26, 2011

Eddie Marie: Karaoke Queen


A friend:
On Feb. 18, 2011 Eddie Marie lost her battle with cancer. She was Long Beach's Karaoke Queen, loved and respected by all. She was an extraordinary and adorable entertainer with a heart of gold that matched her golden voice. She loved America and the veterans, she brought her karaoke machine to the old Long Beach VFW Post 1746 and the Lakewood American Legion Post 496 among other establishments in the Long Beach area where everyone had fun. She will be missed by all who knew her.


2/25/11: My first close friend to pass away...

3/5/11: Just got back from the Memorial for Eddie Marie Kurgan which began at 1 p.m. at the American Legion, 5938 Parkcrest, Long Beach, California.

It was attended by close to 500 people and it was truly magnificent just like she was. God bless those who took care of her so well in the end, and her family in Alabama who raised up such a beautiful person.

Newpaper article about her here and from her hometown in Montgomery, Alabama:
JONES, Miss Eddie Marie Kurgan was born in Montg, on Feb. 19, 1947 to Elizabeth Jones Gholston, and Abe Snow (deceased). At an early age she confessed faith in Jesus Christ and joined the Troy Chapel AMEZ Meth. Church. Marie graduated from Carver High School in Montg. She moved to Chicago, IL. where she started her career in music. She eventually moved to Long Beach, CA, where she continued to sing and became known as the Black Queen of country music. Marie departed this life on February 18, 2011 in Lakewood, CA. Services will be held in Long Beach, CA on March 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM. She leaves to cherish her memory, her loving mother Elizabeth Jones Gholston; three brothers, J. T. (Shirley) Coleman, Willie J. Gholston Jr., James (Josefa) Gholston, all of Montg. Also fraternal siblings Marshall (Carmellia) Taylor, Alfreda Snow, Larry (Alice) Snow, Joyce (David) Allen, Orum (Nicole) Snow, Deborah (David) Brown, Ray (Irma) Snow and Tanya (Terry) French.
My heart is broken.

UPDATE:
Purple balloons were released symbolizing Eddie-Marie's departure after Proud to Be an American was sung acoppella [sic] which was her favorite song to end her shows with...


MORE NEWS (9/11/11): PLANS FOR "BLACK SWAN" MEMORIAL TO BE PLACED IN NASHVILLE CEMETERY
Update 10/9/11: Very soon, our own Black Swan will be placed near the fountain at Woodlawn Memorial Park (picture below taken before being shipped to Nashville from India):

Thanks to Eddie Marie's close friend Sherilyn for conceiving of and helping to arrange for this beautiful memorial and for the two pictures above...and many thanks to Rob, without whom it would not have been financially possible.

 MAY, 2012
 Eddie Marie's Final Resting Place


Woodlawn Memorial Park
Nashville, Tennessee

*  *  *

February 19, 1947 - February 18, 2011
Soulful Singer of Country Music
The Beloved Lady is Home
 EDDIE MARIE JONES KURGAN
Born: Montgomery, Alabama 

*  *  *


3 comments:

Terry D said...

I was fortunate enough to meet Eddie Marie and spend time with her. She had such an ease to her demeanor it was impossible not to be her friend. I truly enjoyed the time and it was because of her and her spirit of positivity. I miss her and the world misses her. Terry

lgstarr said...

Not sure why I didn't respond sooner!!

But, yes, you are spot on about her and what it felt like to be around her.

Very, very special.

caligir69 said...

I loved Eddie more than life itself as well I was like a second mother to me I met her when I was a little girl my parents were going through a divorce at the time she was more like a mother to me than my own mother she means the world to me I moved away when I was an adult lost contact with her I found out Chea passed away when I was living in Nebraska I was deeply saddened very deeply son I miss her every day I miss calling her on the phone and talking to her she meant the world to me I would love to contact with her brother Willy he knew us and we my brothers rest in peace mama AKA
I will come visit you someday when I get to Nashville I love you so much and miss you so much I wish you were here to watch my kids grown into adults You would have been a great grandma to my kids . I remember singing on park lane in your tbird singing country music . Love you momma