Tuesday, September 17, 2013

How not to kill yourself when you BBQ

Woman dies. Husband severely injured. Guests injured.

Fillmore Woman Dies After Handheld Propane Torch Explodes At Family Cookout
Chief Rigo Landeros of the Fillmore Fire Department responded to the scene and explained what he believed happened.

“They lit the charcoal barbeque with the device. They set it on the side of the barbeque, right on the shelf. The container was getting heated by the radiant heat from the actual barbeque itself. The canister actually exploded,” he said.

Landeros said the gas inside the propane tank expanded and ultimately caused the explosion.

He said people should read the instructions on the canister to avoid a similar occurrence.

“Store (the propane torch) in a cool place. When you’re using it, do not expose it to radiant heat,” said Landeros.

No comments: