Monday, November 19, 2012

WINNING

...the Obama administration’s partnership with the Muslim Brotherhood, while in the short term a nuisance to everyone, including Israel represents in the long run a death sentence for Egypt. Soon America will have to feed Egypt; prop it up and provide snacks to the very same people who will storm its embassy walls.

That country along the Nile used to be the granary of civilization. Now it is the world’s biggest importer of wheat and is rapidly running out of everything except delusions of regional destiny. Hatred blinds and perhaps nothing encapsulates this ethos so perfectly as the now classic statement by labor of how it forced the bankruptcy of the Hostess company to send a strong message of union resolve, resulting in the layoff of everybody — 18,000 and more workers. If that is winning, what is losing?

Perhaps the most important lesson American conservatives can learn from Israel versus the Muslim world is that there is no revenge greater than success. Right after the elections I wrote that “in the coming years revolutionary acts will be indistinguishable from self-improvement.” Although there is always be a need to resist actively, the best resistance is simply to make things work and watch Chicago, Detroit and California fall apart. In the immortal words of that great Communist, Deng Xiaoping, “to get rich is glorious”.

Israel, however, is in possession of the original epigram, from which Deng’s maxim is only derivative.

THE LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
The Last Man Standing

No comments: