Saturday, November 27, 2010

OPERA COMPANY OF PHILADELPHIA SURPRISES MACY'S CUSTOMERS WITH RANDOM ACT OF CULTURE

RANDOM ACT OF CULTURE ON OCTOBER 10, 2010



UPDATE: I just happened to be reading how the very devoted Catholic blogger The Anchoress, was not terribly moved by this video...something I just can't understand...but I did want to mention a comment from "Ken from Kansas" because it fleshes out the historical setting for the video:
...for people from Philly like me it [Macy's] will always be the John Wanamaker Store at 13th and Walnut.

The Wanamaker organ and the great court at the holidays is something special to us. Plus for me the thought of the Hallelujah Chorus and the words, “the kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of his Christ,” sung in a temple of commerce (Mammon?) gives me goose bumps. God does honor his Word even when that word goes forth in the most unlikely places and he will be exalted. BTW, John Wanamaker was a wonderful Christian and would have approved I am sure.
Merry Christmas to all.

No comments: