Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Rooting for Taylor

"Dear friends,

Somehow I got hooked on American Idol.  For a person who almost never watches television, here I was absolutely rescheduling my life around tonight's show.  I have been rooting for Taylor, of course, he's got heart. 

I'm not sure what to make of this but it seems important somehow.  It's clearly a cultural phenomenon when there are 60 million votes for a guy from Alabama and a girl from the Valley - that's only a few million short of what won the last presidential election.

Taylor sang, after he won, "Sing with me America, I'm living the American Dream!"  And he is, and they did.  How we want to hope.  We root for the underdog, we love the idea of someone from our-home-town, someone just like us, or our sister, or our uncle, rising to the top, getting chosen, making it.  It's a metaphor of the hero's journey. 

It reminds us of potential, and our potential, if we really try, if we put ourselves out there, if we love something so much, we can reach the greatest heights. 

This is so touching to me.

I had so many lofty things I wanted to write about tonight.  But this one kept feeling the truest.  I have an ethic when I write these little essays: no editing, no rewriting, keep it real, be authentic, tell the truth, if I don't have something to say, don't say anything.

There are other days for esoteric ideals and grand aspiration.  Some days the simplest act, like the way my mom kisses me five times on my cheeks, back and forth, back and forth, pretty much every time I see her, or today when my friend brought me a rosary from the Vatican, moves me, breathes me, reminds me.

Everything, everything is okay.

And that this little moment right now is sacred.

Blessings,
Diana Lang
THE WEATHER
©2006 by DIANA LANG

These letters are sent out as a gift and a service. If you feel so inspired, please feel free to pass them along, but do so without charge or alteration. If you wish to be added to or deleted from the mailing list, please let me know.

Diana Lang
from the City of Angels
818/888-7319
www.DianaLang.com

"Everything you do right now ripples outward
and affects everyone." - David Deida"


Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: