Tuesday, January 02, 2007

I played piano for President Ford

It was so exciting to perform for a U.S. President!

The Secret Service covered every move made by the members of the group I was with (The Mike Curb Congregation) even to looking inside my boots, pulling down the light fixtures (for what purpose???) inside the dressing room provided at The Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles, and following us to and from the coffee shop.

It was 1976, much closer in time to the Kennedy assassination on November 22, 1963. We were told NOT to turn around and unplug our amps after performing (for obvious reasons).

This may have been a fundraiser. Mike Curb was seated at the head table with the President (he became California's Lt. Governor in 1979). I got $50.00 to play for just 15 minutes...but I had to be granted a "Q" clearance the week before this performance or I would not have been allowed to be there.

Then I went home to the little bungalow under the "Hollywood" sign I shared with several other musicians where I slept next to my instruments on the floor.

Ah, the life of a musician :)

No comments: